Wednesday, March 19, 2008

Waitlisted by Berkeley

This is actually a pleasant surprise. I had expected to be rejected outright since I didn't get an interview invitation.

That said, I am kind of appalled by how much they expect of waitlisted candidates. They indicate that we should: 1) schedule an interview 2) retake the GMAT 3) enroll in courses at a community college 4) submit more recommendations and/or 5) submit an "update" essay.

That's an awful lot of work to do for a slim-to-none chance of acceptance! I feel like one or two of these would be reasonable, but all five? That said, I'm sure waitlisted candidates will end up doing all of these things whether or not the school suggests them.

I think my game plan is to accept a place on their waitlist and then see what Tuck, Chicago, and UVA have to say. If I get into any of those schools (FINGERS CROSSED), then I certainly won't bother with the Berkeley waitlist. And I'll wait until then before I start doing heavy lifting.

2 comments:

JulyDream said...

I feel the waitlist is more about drive. If Haas was your number one choice for business school, you'd be busting your booty to complete their tasks. I know your feeling though, you look at the list and think, REALLY?!? Crossing my fingers one of the other programs work out. Maybe classmates? ;)

Unknown said...

I'm sure that you'll get in one of those schools that you just mentioned! And you already got an admit! :-) All the very best!