Thursday, April 24, 2008

Unwillingness To Take Next Steps

In my head, I have made up my mind that I am going to Tuck. I was so impressed by the students, the administration, the faculty, and the community as a whole! And I do like the idea of a more coherent core curriculum and a better-rounded general management program.

I am having trouble telling either Tuck or Chicago as much, though. It is really hard to let go of Chicago. I don't think going there would be the right thing to do.

I think one thing I'm a little scared of about Tuck is housing. I have a condo and I was thinking I'd rent it out and find a place to rent at Tuck. (I can't live on-campus.) But the quality of the rentals in the area is discouraging. Now I'm wondering whether I should sell my condo and buy a house in Hanover. The inventory of properties to buy seems a bit nicer.

I think it's because I care so much about my living conditions that I'm so fearful of committing to Tuck. But there's no way I can resolve that before next week, when my decision is due. So I expect that I send the necessary letters off this weekend. It's just so hard to do! I really would like to go to both.

4 comments:

Unknown said...

I know it is a tough decision to make. I'm impressed by both programs (academics at GSB, and the well-roundedness and camaraderie at Tuck) and will be applying to both this year (but if i get into both then i may prefer GSB, as that more closely aligns with my career goals). Agreed that Hyde Park and Chicago Weather sucks, but there is much more to a MBA than the above 2 factors.
I hope you are making your decision based on your post-MBA career goals. I would say that a differentiating factor would be, GSB MBA by itself would provide you more leverage in you career (without making you dependent on your alum network), but a TUCK MBA would make you a little more reliant on the highly responsive alum network. If you are interested in General Management (a better grounding of soft skills) and wish to stay in US, then i agree that TUCK is definitely a better prog than GSB. But if you want to get into Fin (IB)/Consulting then i guess GSB is the place to be.
Anyway from what i could infer about you, i'm sure that you would definitely do well at any of the above schools. In the end, it is upto the individual to make better use of the opportunities provided by schools. Wishing you all the very best. Enjoy your time in Hanover. I'm planning on driving and visiting the school sometime in May or June. Keep us posted on happenings.

Anonymous said...

What about Darden? With a motto like "High Touch, High Tone, High Octane".....how could you turn that down? And that First Coffee thing they have going on every morning....Thomas Jefferson would be so proud!

Anonymous said...

In addition to what the.grey.one said, I'd ask you to look at faculty & career services. I believe both of these aspects are much better at the GSB (powerhouse faculty - not only in finance and economics, but also in other areas like entrepreneurship; career services supposed to be the best in the US). Also, if you want to go abroad, the GSB is better (due to the singapore/london campuses). If you want to go into industry or general management, and a closer-knit community while you're at school, then Tuck will be better (i'm married, so i feel my wife will have a better time at Tuck).

Personally, I would choose GSB anyday. Tuck and Darden would come second. I would not go to Duke.

Yours is a good problem to have. All the best.

Samantha said...

I imagine it would be hard to figure out living from far away. Did you see any actual rentals or meet people at admit weekend who would be living off-campus? Maybe you could live with them. Buying a house for 2 years is a big commitment, but I'm sure it could be done.

Congrats on making a decision (almost)!!