Friday, December 28, 2007

Should I Retake The GMAT?

I am torn about this one.

I'm at 96% overall -- a great score, right?

But I'm at 73% for quant. Not super. And I've heard that some schools want to see quantitative scores in at least the 80th percentile.

It's funny how 99% on verbal plus 73% on quant = 96% overall.

I've been thinking that after all of my apps are in -- and they almost all are -- that I'll retake the test with a focus on the quant section. But I don't want to do so if it's not worth my time .

I have one quant course on my undergrad transcript with a bad grade, but three from evening courses after graduation with good grades. And I use stats pretty heavily in my work.

Any opinions? Retake or not?

3 comments:

Samantha said...

I got the same percentiles the first time I took it! 99% verbal and 72% quant, which was a 730 overall. My friends told me I was crazy to retake it, but I did anyway (mostly because I want to go to wharton and they like 80% for both scores. If it's reassuring to you, I improved the quant score a lot the 2nd time with only a few weeks studying more math problems. If it's going to bug you, then re-take. If it's not, then don't, because you can definitely get in somewhere good with that score.

School In The Country said...

That is really great advice, Stacey, thanks. I think it's stopped bugging me. And even if I could stomach a few more weeks studying, I'm not sure if I could take the test in time for schools to consider it.

I'm not applying to Wharton, but I have heard the same thing about Tuck -- that they like >= 80% for both scores.

Who knows, maybe once I've submitted my final app I'll be so frustrated that the whole thing is out of my hands that I'll end up studying to retake it again! It seems like that might be preferable to sitting back and doing nothing.

scoregetter said...

nice post..thanks for useful blog.. we are experts in GMAT GRE SAT in chennai and gmat coaching training classes in chennai .