Monday, December 17, 2007

Extracurriculars: List Or Essay?

Both UVA and Berkeley ask for lots of information about extracurriculars, but neither provides any guidance as to format. Some schools just give you forms to fill in, but Berkeley asks you to upload a Word doc and UVA gives you lots of blank space to paste an answer into.

In my Berkeley app I provided it in list format. For UVA I'm writing about a paragraph's worth of text for each extracurricular instead. I think this is better because it gives me more room to explain why the extracurricular and the work I did with it are special.

I guess my concern is that I might be giving the Ad Comm more essays than than they wanted -- and annoying them in the process.

Anyone have any experience doing one or the other?

2 comments:

mbabound said...

For Berkeley, I just listed all my activities with the details that they asked for in the question. Of course, I haven't heard from the yet...

JulyDream said...

For UVA I listed my extracurriculars and made little bullet points either simply stating what the organization is (if not obvious), accomplishments both personal and organization wide. Etc. I don't have my format at work with me, but would be happy to give you more detail if you desire. I think it also depends how long your list is, because I play soccer, I have a lot of teams to list, but if you have space, writing paragraphs could definitely add value.