Sunday, January 6, 2008

I Heart The Chicago PowerPoint

It is such a pleasure not to have to type up another essay. I think this PowerPoint conveys who I am about 10x more effectively and convincingly than any essay I've written. I think that's partially due to the slightly richer medium and partially due to the completely open-ended question. ("Who are you?" is better than "What matters most to you?" in my book.)

That said, Chicago makes up for the PPT by giving you a 1500 word max on the goals essay. That's an awful lot of writing. I'm finding I need to pull in content from other essays I've written for other schools. The challenge is to do so, taking tagents here and there, without ending up rambling too much.

Some applicants are so well-designed that they leave you with a more positive impression of the school. I feel that way about Chicago, for sure. Berkeley, UVA, and Duke had the opposite impression on me. I don't know how much it was their application interfaces (theirs were the worst, despite being on the same platform as others), but I really didn't enjoy doing those applications much.

1 comment:

Clear Admit said...

Hello Sustained Agony,

You've shared some great observations on Chicago GSB's balance of essay topics with this entry. Would you be willing to post this report to the Clear Admit Wiki for the benefit of other applicants? You can do so by clicking here, or simply e-mailing the text to wiki@clearadmit.com (we’ll be sure to link back to your blog when we post your information).

We’d also love to hear about campus visits and the factors that influenced your decisions about where to apply.

Thanks and best of luck in the MBA admissions process!

-Lauren