Friday, January 4, 2008

Admissions Office Bedside Manners

I've had a few random questions for some of the admissions offices, and their responses have varied pretty dramatically in tone. Stanford's responses have been outrageously speedy and really very. And the mass emails I get from them are really almost heart-warming: "We look forward to learning more about you."

In comparison, Harvard copied and pasted an answer into a form letter when I emailed them a question. You could even see which part of the email was the normal template (blue font) and which part was from their book of stock answers (black font). I get that they're in a rush, but if it's such a frequently asked question why not post it on their FAQ page?

I hate to judge from this type of interaction, but it's hard not to. That said, my experience visiting Harvard was nothing like this email interaction.

1 comment:

JulyDream said...

I had some of the same experiences and I must admit, the quick responses and personal interaction definitely drew me to certain schools over others. Hopefully they're more attentive in the future!