Wednesday, January 16, 2008

Kellogg Interview Report

I had my Kellogg interview recently. While I'd love to share every last detail and paint a vivid picture for you all, I'm also concerned about maintaining this blog's anonymity. I'll give a sketch of the outlines, though.

I emailed the alum, who works and lives in my city, to set this up in late December. Good email exchanges, and he said not to worry about dressing formally. (Phew.)

I prepped using the questions folks have posted on the great interview wikis at ClearAdmit. The one for Kellogg, which is obviously the one I used, is right here: http://www.clearadmit.com/wiki/index.php?title=KelloggInterview.

I made sure I had ready answers to all of the questions and I practiced the slightly tough ones a bit. He asked standard questions, so I was pretty well prepared, I think. I don't think I could have prepared much better. The only one I didn't expect was about experience working internationally. My response wasn't the absolute strongest I could have given, but I think it was ok.

That said, it was really hard to judge how this alum felt! He was watching me like a hawk while I was talking. I'm not sure I've ever felt so carefully inspected or throughly judged. It definitely made it hard to feel like there was any connection, and I'm not sure that there was. In fact, I'd say there definitely wasn't.

This was very unlike my Tuck interview, which was intensely warm and friendly.

I feel like an interview is a success if you connect with the interviewer and make them like you. I don't feel that I did this with the Kellogg alum. But who knows? Maybe he's always like this and he doesn't really "connect" with anyone. It's certainly possible.

He was very unlike my stereotype of Kellogg or other Kellogg alums I've known!

Interestingly, my Kellogg app is still in "received" status. I submitted both Part I and Part II well before the respective deadlines. Maybe the interview report has to be in before it's
"complete."

2 comments:

e.catharsis said...

My Kellogg status didn't change until I received my decision.

Anonymous said...

I just had my Kellogg interview with an Alumni (3 hours ago!) Sorry about your experience, my interviewer was very warm and friendly, and I felt a real connection. A couple of questions caught me by surprise and I probably didn't give the best answers, but if the point of the interview is mostly to see whether you would fit in at Kellogg or not, then it was big success. Also, my app status says complete. Sounds like they have a somewhat haphhazard process (but seems like so does every other B-school!)