Friday, January 18, 2008

Poll Results & Kellogg Info Sesssion

Thank you to everyone who's voted in the poll to the right! I've really enjoyed watching the results come in. It is downright fascinating how Harvard and Stanford stay neck-and-neck. Sometimes I wonder whether people are voting for one or the other specifically to keep them tied!

I also wonder whether the results would be any different if Wharton were on the list (it isn't because I'm not applying there.) I know that "other" has a decent number of votes, but people are less likely to vote for "other" than they are to just pick the closest fit for them on the list. I'm tempted to say that Wharton would be coming in third if it were listed, but I don't really understand enough about Wharton's appeal to be sure.

I'm also a little surprised by Kellogg's strong showing! I'd expect it to be closer to tied with Dartmouth, which apparently is less popular with you all than it is with me.

I'd love to hear why you're voting the way you are. If you'd like to share, leave a comment below.

I went to a Kellogg information session, though, and I understand what you all like about Kellogg. The info session was much better than my interview. In fact, I really wish I'd done a Kellogg info session before the interview, both to know more going in and to be more confident that I understood what Kellogg folks were like.

Some good news from the Kellogg info session -- the ad com rep there said that decisions are often released early, starting from "six weeks after you submit your Part II app." I'm guessing they also need the interview report to be in, though, which would be at least two weeks after my Part II app. So that means I COULD hear as early as March 1. I won't count on it, but I won't be stunned by it either.

She also said that they WILL applicants you a decision is made and that we don't have to check our status online every day. That's nice to know, and backs up a comment someone made about his status not changing until the decision was in.

4 comments:

tinydancer said...

Yes, Kellogg does start releasing decisions early. I received my Kellogg acceptance about 4 weeks after my interview, which was about 3 weeks after I submitted Part II.

Anonymous said...

I voted for Kellogg too, my dream school. Don't get me wrong, I loved Harvard and Stanford when I visited both, but I didn't connect with the students the same way I did at Kellogg. The place is really without attitude or pretense and I like that. Although I know there is one admission person who has turned people off, that person is not representative of Kellogg's student body and faculty.

Anonymous said...

From my experience interacting with current students, alumni and faculty, I have gathered that Kellogg boasts a culture that is dynamic without being nerdy, snobbish or super competitive.
Their program is flexible and course work is par excellence. The hiring companies think the world of them for their smart and go-getter kids.

Anonymous said...

Current Kellogg student here (09 class) - really glad you all feel that way. I chose Kellogg for the same reasons - I just clicked with the current students and faculty members I met, much more than any other school. I think we're a wee bit proud of being top tier, and keeping it real at the same time.

I hope we'll be able to welcome you all in the summer. Best of luck!